It’s very natural for women to have a waxing appointment scheduled weeks ago, but then the menstrual cycle begins. Such a situation can be heart-shattering, because you are mentally prepared for this, have paid in advance, managed your work schedule, and then everything changes.
There’s a never-ending debate on whether can you get wax on your period or not. That is why, this article keeps the main focus on the topic to give a proper answer to this question.
Table of Contents:
- Part 1: Can You Get Waxed During Your Period?
- Part 2: Safety Precautions and Tips for Waxing During Periods
- Part 3: Alternatives to Waxing During Menstruation
- Part 4: FAQS
Part 1: Can You Get Waxed During Your Period?
It’s often considered a matter of concern that you should not get waxed during your periods. That’s because you are already having period cramps, and adding the sensations of waxing can further increase your overall discomfort. However, many women still wonder if it’s a safe option overall.
Concerns & Misconceptions
Many women are concerned about their hygiene during periods. However, that’s not a concern overall as you can use a menstrual cup and get waxed without any worries.
Many women feel more sensations and pain during their periods, but not all. Every lady’s body has a pain tolerance threshold, and if you think you can tolerate it, you are good to get waxed during your periods.
What Experts Say?
A lot of gynecologists suggest that ladies can reduce their pain sensitivity by taking medications during menstruation about an hour before their waxing appointment.
There are some skin experts who suggest that if a lady prefers waxing during her periods, she should do so in the middle day. That’s when the flow will be regular, and the overall discomfort and pain can be reduced.
Factors to Consider for Safe Waxing During Menstruation
- It’s always a good idea to use a menstrual cup or tampon, so there’s almost no chance of leakage and/or hygiene issues.
- During your periods, your skin can become even more sensitive. That’s why, using post-waxing products is a great idea to keep your skin healthy and safe.
- Many females have this question: can you get a Brazilian wax on your period and can you get a bikini wax on your period? While you can get both of them, you still need to use menstrual products, ensure hygiene, and use post-waxing products.
Part 2: Safety Precautions and Tips for Waxing During Periods
Importance of Proper Hygiene and Cleanliness
- Proper hygiene when getting waxed during your periods will help you stay safe from diseases that could easily infect you due to poor hygiene.
- Staying clean and hygienic is also a good way to avoid bad body odor, and bad breath, and get accepted better at your waxing facility.
Communicating With the Esthetician About Your Menstrual Cycle
It will be very professional and honest of you to let your esthetician know that you are on your period. That way, she can take any extra measures for your waxing session. Also, if your esthetician is experienced, she can guide you in a better way to manage the entire waxing thing during your period. As a result, you’re less likely to go through pain and discomfort.
Use of Menstrual Products During the Waxing Session
- Using menstrual products like a tampon or a cup would be very effective. But make sure that the tampon string does not hang out. Keep it tucked well.
- Make sure you are using a fresh menstrual product before your waxing session, so there’s no chance of any leakage.
- It’s better if you can avoid bulky pads even if you are not getting your bikini line waxed.
Tips for Managing Potential Discomfort or Sensitivity
- You may take over-the-counter pain relievers before your waxing session.
- Don’t consume caffeine because it can increase sensitivity.
- Wearing loose clothing will be helpful in staying relaxed and comfortable.
Part 3: Alternatives to Waxing During Menstruation
Temporary Hair Removal Methods
If you think that the pain levels might be beyond your tolerance threshold, better not take any risk. Go for temporary hair removal methods like shaving or using depilatory creams. Tweezing is not recommended because that will, again, be a little discomforting.
Postponing the Waxing Appointment
If possible, ask your waxing professional if she can reschedule your appointment. Ladies can understand menstrual problems better.
Exploring Other Salon Services During Periods
Many women prefer getting a massage during their periods, which can help them relax and get more comfortable. Also, if you want, you can get a facial to pamper yourself. Then manicures and pedicures are also good options during your periods instead of getting waxed.
Moreover, if you believe your hair is getting longer, maybe you can get a quick trim or simply get a new haircut, just for a change. A new haircut can easily divert your mind from your period discomfort.
Part 4: FAQS
Will Waxers Still Wax You on Your Period?
Yes, most waxers will wax you even if you are on your period, provided that you are wearing your menstrual cup or a tampon. Also, it is a good idea to keep your waxer informed beforehand that you are on your period.
Does Waxing Hurt Less on Your Period?
No. Instead, waxing can be more painful during your period and just after your menstrual cycle ends. The hormonal fluctuations are very much responsible for making your skin even more sensitive during your time of the month.
Can I Get a Brazilian Wax While on My Period?
Yes for sure. But you still need to maintain proper hygiene, talk to your esthetician, and consider your pain tolerance threshold to avoid any regrets during your waxing session.
By now it’s safe to conclude that getting waxed on your periods can be painful and there are many alternatives. You can reschedule, or go for other salon services to keep up your beauty. Also, if you can tolerate pain, you can still get waxed with your tampon on. It’s always good to speak to your esthetician on whom you can rely, engage in the best talks with her, and make the most informed decision out of your communication.