Excess facial hair growth in women called hirsutism is mainly associated with hormonal disturbances that stimulate hair follicles in the areas where hair does not grow. This unwanted facial hair is an obstruction to the flawless beauty of the women making them remove hair using different methods.
If you are a woman with hirsutism, we encourage you to try natural solutions to the undesired facial hair growth. Such solutions work on the cause of the hirsutism and also provide additional benefits to the skin and overall well-being. So, let us get informed about the causes and natural remedies to stop facial hair growth from growing naturally.
The Causes of Facial Hair Growth in Women
It is important to know the causes of excess facial hair in order to know how to stop hair growth on the face permanently. These causes are given below,
- Genetics and Ethnicity: Genetics determine the physical traits including facial hair. Moreover, women in South Asia and the Mediterranean region are likely to have excess hair growth on the face.
- Age: Hair starts to grow at puberty and reaches its full length in adulthood. There may also be alternation in the facial hair growth in the 50s during the menu pause and in pregnancy.
- PCOS: PCOS is a syndrome of imbalance in the androgen production in the ovaries. It leads to a symptom complex including hirsutism.
- Obesity: In overweight individuals, there is a greater amount of fat and this fat is converted into cholesterol hormones that affect hair growth in females.
- OCPs and Steroids: OCPs and steroids are anabolic hormones that can interfere with the hormonal balance in the body resulting in hirsutism.
- Stress: Stress increases the level of cortisol and androgens in the body by stimulating adrenal glands causing excess facial hair growth in females.
- Idiopathic: It is not mandatory that there is a cause behind excess facial hair growth. So, it can also be idiopathic.
Natural Remedies to Stop Facial Hair Growth in Females
The remedies given below can be your solution to how to stop facial hair growth in females naturally.
1. Papaya and Turmeric Face Pack
Both papaya and turmeric have anti-androgen properties. While you can use both separately to make your own DIY facial hair removal packs, using them together provides better results.
Papaya has papain enzymes that inhibit hair growth and turmeric has curcumin that reduces inflammation and unwanted hair.
2. Alum, Oil, and Rose Water
Alum has the ability to put hair follicles into a sleeping phase and thus reduce unwanted hair regrowth. Moreover, it also has abrasive properties that help in removing unwanted hair from the roots.
However, alum is a little harsh on the skin if applied alone. So, you can add rose water and oil into it to counteract the abrasion and make it gentle.
3. Tea Tree and Lavender Oil
Tea tree and lavender oil are two of the best facial oils that add a healthy glow to the skin and also reduce hair regrowth. Both oils have properties to manage and balance the stimulation of adrenal glands.
Consequently, less amount of androgens is produced helping to stop the facial hair growth in females naturally.
4. Orange Peel, Lemon Peel, and Oatmeal
Orange and lemon both are skin brightening fruits. Their peels have a large quantity of Vitamin C as well. When the lemon and orange peels are dried, ground into a powder, and mixed with oatmeal, facial oil, and rose water, they make a paste that sticks to the unwanted hair and removes them by rubbing it.
In addition to hair removal, this paste also lightens hair color making them less visible.
5. Lemon, Honey, and Sugar
Lemon, honey, and sugar when heated together on a low flame makes a thick sticky paste that can be used to remove objectionable hair from the face quickly. As it removes the hair from the roots, the hair regrowth becomes finer over time and is stopped eventually.
Also, it is less painful as compared to waxing.
6. Topical Application of Licorice
Licorice has been used in several lines of skincare products for its benefits including anti-aging, skin brightness, sunrays protection, anti-inflammation, and more,
In addition to these, it also helps in the removal of unwanted hair and reduces its density, quantity, and thickness in the long term.
7. Lemon Juice and Potato Juice
Although not directly involved in removing unwanted hair, lemon juice, and potato juice have lightening properties that can be used to bleach the hair and make them less apparent on the surface of the skin.
Moreover, you can add lentils to these juices to make a paste that helps in removing unwanted hair.
8. Gelatin and Milk
Gelatin has the ability to melt into a paste that sticks to the hair and hardens on drying. So, take powdered gelatin, add it to milk, and microwave it to form a face mask with a runny consistency.
A thin layer of this mask on the face becomes a peel-off mask. When this mask is peeled off, it removes the unwanted hair and also reduces their growth.
9. Chickpea Flour and Rose Water
Chickpea flour and rose water are two ingredients to deal with unwanted hair by removing them from the surface of the skin by abrasion.
Chickpea or gram flour can be used for this mask. It has the additional benefits of skin exfoliation and hydration.
10. Egg and Corn Starch
Egg white also dries up to form a peel-off mask and corn starch is a pasty material that adheres to the hair. So, adding both, applying on the areas with unwanted hair, and peeling it off as it dries removes the unwanted hair.
Moreover, it helps in tightening the skin, reducing the appearance of pores, and fading wrinkles.
Lifestyle Changes to Stop Facial Hair Growth Naturally
The natural remedies mentioned above cannot immediately stop facial hair from growing. Rather they reduce the regrowth in the long term. Lifestyle changes are how to stop facial hair growth in females naturally and permanently. These changes are given below.
1. Exercise and Yoga
The first thing you must keep in check for controlling facial hair is the level of hormones in the body. And one of the best ways to do it exercising whether it is a workout or yoga.
In exercise, the androgens are utilized to build muscles and provide energy rather than targeting hair follicles. So, regular exercise can stop excess facial hair from growing.
2. Weight Reduction
We discussed the causes of hirsutism in women earlier, right? Obesity is one of the top causes as it stimulates the production of androgens and also increases the risk of insulin resistance, both of which give way to unwanted facial hair growth.
So, weight reduction either by diet, walking, or workout can positively affect the balance of hormones in the body and reduce the production of unwanted hair.
3. Control Stress
With stress increases the level of steroid hormones in the body and also the imbalance of follicle-stimulating hormones. So, you have to keep yourself calm by meditation, proper sleep, and being less worried about the events happening in life.
Additionally, you can go for therapy and acupuncture to control the stress. You will see how facial hair is reduced by being more happy and relaxed.
4. Cut Down on Unhealthy Foods
Processed meals, fast food, refined products, artificial sweeteners, inorganic milk products, and inorganic refined oils can increase the production of testosterone and estrogen in the body which leads to PCOS and hirsutism.
Additionally, dehydration can aggravate the symptoms. So, reduce the intake of such foods and try to eat natural and organic foods to stay in good shape. Also, improve your water intake.
5. Take Anti-Hirsutism Food
If you find yourself asking how to stop hair growth on the face permanently in females with foods, below are the top foods to try.
- Supermint Tea: Supermint is one of the best herbs that keep the production of testosterone and other androgens in check. The best way to use super mint is a cup of super mint tea every day.
- Soya: Soya has anti-androgenic and estrogen-balancing properties.
- Green Tea: Green tea has effects similar to super mint tea in hair growth reduction.
- Lettuce: Lettuce encourages weight loss and hydration. It also has trace minerals which can be helpful for hirsutism.
- Fruits: Apricot, papaya, sweet potato, and carrots are good for hair growth reduction.
- Crimini Mushrooms: It contains vitamin B complex which reduces hair regrowth permanently by controlling obesity and the production of steroid hormones in the body.
- Seeds and Nuts: Peanuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and almonds are rich in vitamin E and vitamin B. These reduce the level of testosterone in the body.
- Cinnamon: It helps in preventing insulin resistance and regulating the level of blood glucose. With the positive effects of hormonal regulation, it is good for unwanted hair.
- Licorice Roots: Licorice has a direct effect on testosterone production. It is the major culprit behind hirsutism.
Supplements have multiple roles in the body and of course, reducing hair growth. They help in keeping unwanted hair in check by reducing the level of testosterone in the body, prolactin regulation, improving insulin resistance, reducing weight, and improving the overall health of the body and face.
So, it is time to add the following supplements to your diet.
- Zinc Supplements
- Inositol Supplements
- Folic Acid
- Saw Palmetto Supplements
- Vitamin Supplements include vitamin B complex, vitamin A, and vitamin E.
Stopping Facial Hair Growth in Women with IPL Hair Removal
Natural remedies and lifestyle changes take a long while to show significant effects. So, if you want to remove unwanted hair and prevent them from regrowing permanently, IPL hair removal is the way to go. It offers benefits like
- Relatively painless
- Results last for half a year or more
- No bumps, ingrown hair, or strawberry legs
- Longterm investment
- Quick hair removal and fast results
If you are looking for a suggestion for IPL hair removal devices, Ulike Sapphire Air3 IPL hair removal handset can satisfy you with its exceptional features including
- Painless sapphire ice-cooling technology
- 7 minutes of super-fast treatment
- Quick and significant results in 3 weeks
- Lifetime unlimited flashes
- FDA approved
- Dermatologist recommended
- 3 intensity levels
- 2 treatment modes
- Ergonomic and elegant design
FAQs About Facial Hair Removal
Is it Safe to Use Homemade Facial Hair Removal Remedies?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to homemade facial hair removal remedies to get rid of unwanted hair at home. The good thing about these DIY natural remedies is that they offer additional benefits to the skin like hydration, radiance, and anto-aging.
However, they have to be repeated a few times every week for several months for them to be effective making the process tiring.
How Long Does it Take to See Results From Natural Methods of Stopping Facial Hair Growth in Females?
It takes quite a while to see results from natural methods of hair growth reduction in females. First, each method needs to be repeated 2 to 3 times every week. Within 3 weeks, you will start to see the results and it can take 6 months to a year for hair to stop growing.
However, it might take longer and hair grow back after a while making these methods temporary. So, you have to be prepared to stay patient and expect less.
What Foods Can I Eat to Stop Facial Hair Growth in Females Naturally?
You can eat foods rich in antioxidants, polyphenols, vitamins, and minerals to reduce unwanted facial hair growth in women. These foods include fruits like apricots, vegetables like spinach, salad like lettuce, nuts like almonds, seeds like sunflower seeds, and more.
Are there any Herbal Supplements that can Help Stop Facial Hair Growth in Females?
Yes, there are several herbal supplements to stop facial hair growth in females. These include super mint tea, green tea, black cohosh, saw palmetto, and chaste tree.
The natural methods that can be used to stop facial hair from growing in females include face packs which remove the hair and makes them thinner as they grow back. But it can take a long time to see results.
In addition to the masks, lifestyle changes are more helpful in stopping hirsutism caused by hormonal access. Lastly, vitamin supplements and herbs are good for unwanted hair treatment as they regulate testosterone production in the body.
Additionally, you might get an allergic reaction using any of the homemade masks. So, it is essential to consult your skin doctor before trying any such treatment.