When we get bombarded with pictures of flawless-looking celebrities walking the red carpet, parts of our bodies we once paid no mind to can quickly turn into sources of embarrassment and insecurity.
If you’ve been struggling with dark underarms, know that you’re not alone. Millions of people around the world are trying to figure out a way to achieve those perfectly smooth and evenly-toned armpits they’ve seen in celebrity pictures so many times.
While replicating the look can take a bit of time and effort, as long as you follow the necessary steps, you, too, should be able to whiten your dark underarms in no time.
How To Whiten Your Underarms in 3 Days
If you’ve got an event coming up and want to look your best in it while wearing something sleeveless, whitening your underarms might be the first order of business.
As you’ll see below, there are plenty of steps you can take to improve the overall appearance of your armpits in just three short days; however, we do want to note that proper underarm care is a long-term game.
While you can improve their general appearance in such a short timeframe, it’s best to think ahead and show continuous care moving forward – that way, your armpits will stay smooth and even-toned all year long.
With that disclaimer out of the way, let’s dive into the steps you can follow to whiten your underarms in three days:
1. Eliminate All Contributing Factors
Aside from genetics, there are several other factors that can contribute to the darkness (or lack thereof) of your underarms. Before you even attempt a treatment, your first step should be to nip the problem in the bud and eliminate everything that might be worsening the problem.
Here are some of the most common factors that might be making your underarms darker:
- Smoking. The correlation between smoking and darkened skin is pretty complex; however, it ultimately boils down to reduced blood flow, toxic chemicals, oxidative stress, and hormonal imbalances. So, try eliminating smoking for just these three days, or, better yet, use this as an opportunity to kick the habit altogether.
- Shaving. Since shaving doesn’t remove hair by the root, but rather cuts it down close to the skin, the base of the hair will always be visible. Moreover, the practice can be too aggressive for sensitive areas like your underarms, so it’s normal to also deal with irritation and ingrown hair, which can make the situation worse. So, if you’re a frequent shaver, the first order of business is to move to another hair removal method.
- Wearing tight clothing. If you’re someone who constantly wears tight-fitting tops, the solution to your problem might just be a slight change in the wardrobe department. Tight clothing causes friction by constantly rubbing your underarms, which are pretty sensitive to begin with. In time, the process leads to irritation and darkening.
- Using deodorants with harsh chemicals. Though they all serve the same purpose, not all deodorants are created equal. Harsh chemicals like aluminum compounds, parabens, and alcohol, can irritate and darken your skin, as well as cause a plethora of other dangerous health complications. So, if your deodorant lists any of the above in its ingredients list, throw it out and replace it with a gentler, higher-quality alternative.
After you’ve eliminated all possible triggers, you can take the preventative stage a step further by making some positive changes in your lifestyle. While this is more of a longer-term solution, it can still yield results even in that 3-day timeframe.
Start eating a bit healthier, exercise, and try finding some effective stress-coping mechanisms. Doing so won’t only improve your skin by a notable margin, but it’ll also prove to be beneficial for your overall physical and mental health.
Now that you’ve effectively stopped your underarms from getting any darker, it’s time to go into the offensive and take active measures to try and improve their appearance.
One thing you might’ve failed to consider when dealing with your dark underarms is the fact that part of that darkness might be easily removable.
Remember how I mentioned that tight-fitting clothing can irritate and darken your armpits? Well, if your style includes a lot of darker colors, your tops might be staining your skin, making the area appear darker than it actually is.
So, start by choosing a gentle but effective cleanser that’ll remove all impurities from your skin at once.
Only then, you’ll be able to see how dark your underarms really are and how much effort you’ll have to put in from this point on.
Failing to exfoliate our armpits is one of the main reasons behind their dull, dark appearance, yet it’s something most of us are guilty of.
It’s time for that to change. So, take a gentle exfoliant or body scrub, preferably one made of all-natural ingredients (what’s the point in swapping your deodorant if you’re going to introduce harsh chemicals to your underarms anyway?) and start applying it to the area in circular motions.
Since no two scrubs are created the same, you’ll want to follow the directions on the packaging as closely as possible. Beware, though, that while exfoliating can be extremely beneficial, overdoing it can do more harm than good.
So, be gentle and once your underarms feel soft enough, it’s time to move on to the next step.
4. Try One of These Treatments
There are plenty of homemade and over-the-counter treatments that’ll actively help your underarms get lighter. Here are some of the best ones you can try:
- Coconut oil. Coconut oil is rich in Vitamin E, which is known to do wonders for the skin. So, all you have to do is take this pantry staple and massage it onto your armpits. Leave it on for up to 15 minutes and wash it away with lukewarm water. The best thing about this remedy is that you can repeat it several times a day, as it doesn’t dry or irritate your skin.
- Baking soda and lemon. Mix the two ingredients until they form a paste, then apply it to your underarms. Wait 4-5 minutes before washing everything off.
- Honey and activated charcoal. Though this might not be the most accessible option, the combination of these ingredients is extremely effective when it comes to lightening your underarms. Again, all you have to do is mix them into a paste, leave them on for 30 minutes, and wash your underarms.
- Potatoes. Want to try something simpler? Try extracting the juice of a potato and applying it directly to the skin. You can leave the remedy to work its magic for 10-20 minutes before washing it off.
- Over-the-counter products. If you don’t want to go the natural remedy route, you can always visit your local pharmacy and see if there are any OTC products you can try. Get something that contains AHAs, glycolic acid, kojic acid, or arbutin, all of which are known for their lightening properties. Though these products are quicker-acting, remember that you’ll have to consult with a medical professional before using them.
What’s more, you can always explore professional treatments like laser therapy or dermabrasion, which, as you’ll see below, are usually the quickest in their results. However, these can be pretty costly. And considering the fact that you’ll likely have to book an appointment beforehand, getting them within a 3-day window might not be realistic for most.
5. Remove the Hair
Since shaving is now off the table, you’ll have to explore other options when it comes to hair removal.
Your first alternative is waxing. Since wax pulls the hair from its root, you won’t have to deal with the residues of shaving darkening your underarms. However, the process can be quite painful, not to mention irritating in such sensitive areas. If you have a low pain tolerance or especially irritable skin, your best bet is lasering.
Lasering provides excellent, long-lasting results and isn’t nearly as painful as waxing. However, it can be quite pricey if you get it done at a clinic. Luckily, there’s a way to get all the benefits of laser at home at a fraction of the price.
Portable laser devices like The Ulike Hair Removal Handset can work miracles when it comes to keeping your underarms hairless, smooth, and even-toned.
This one in particular is FDA-approved and pain-free, making it the perfect choice for those who want to keep their skin looking its best without having to spend too much time and money in the process.
By this point, your underarms should be feeling a bit dry and irritated, so the next step would be to bring some life and hydration back to the skin. Get a gentle, soothing moisturizer and apply it to the area following the instructions on the packaging.
Your armpits should be feeling and looking great already. However, if you stick to this routine, even for just three days, you’ll see an even greater improvement in their appearance.
What Is the Fastest Way To Whiten Underarms?
Though home remedies and a well-thought-out routine are convenient and effective, if you’re looking for faster results, you might want to opt for a professional treatment.
Keep in mind; however, that this approach can still take some time due to how long it takes to book/go to a consultation and then to go through the actual procedure. However, in terms of the time it takes for you to see results after the treatment, this approach is the fastest.
Generally speaking, there are two professional procedures you can consider if you’re looking to whiten your underarms.
Firstly, you have chemical peels. If your run-of-the-mill exfoliant isn’t delivering notable results, it might be time to take it up a notch and try a chemical peel. Keep in mind that it’ll take a couple of weeks for you to see results, but the emerging skin should be pretty smooth and even-toned.
Alternatively, you can opt for some kind of laser treatment. These include skin resurfacing (dermabrasion) and laser therapy targeting pigmentation. Both can be pretty pricey and require the approval of a licensed professional; however, these treatments deliver some of the fastest, most satisfactory results.
If you’re looking for an even quicker, but temporary solution, you can always use makeup to conceal your dark underarms for an event.
How Do Celebrities Whiten Their Armpits?
So, how come celebrities always seem to have camera-ready underarms? Here’s what most of them do:
- They use laser hair removal.
- They often undergo professional treatments like laser therapy and dermabrasion to whiten their underarms.
- They follow a strict maintenance routine of cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturizing their underarms.
- They follow e generally healthy lifestyle that prevents the appearance of darker armpits in the first place.
With all that said, remember that most of your information on what your favorite celebs look like comes from pictures you see online, which can be very misleading. Lighting, angles, makeup, and Photoshop, all play a role in how someone’s body looks.