Most of the women develop pimples after shaving their face. They are painful, ugly, and dirty. An uninvited pimple can ruin their plans and mood as well. It also affects one’s self-confidence. Picking or squeezing a pimple also does not help. So what to do?
To solve the problem, we must understand its root cause first. Once the root is eradicated, the problem will not grow bigger, right? Shaving can indeed cause pimples and we are here today to know why and how it happens. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents:
- Part 1: Why Do I Get Pimples After Shaving Face Woman?
- Part 2: How to Prevent Pimples After Shaving
- Part 3: Additional Tips for Preventing Pimples After Shaving
Part 1: Why Do I Get Pimples After Shaving Face Woman?
Irritation from Razor Blades and Improper Shaving Techniques
When we go through the learning phase of shaving, we get pimples mostly during that time. It is because we are yet to learn proper shaving techniques. We sometimes apply too much pressure or try to shave quickly. This irritates our skin and causes pimples.
Moreover, it is also recommended to shave the face in the same direction of hair growth and avoid dry shaving. Otherwise, you are more at risk of developing pimples.
Ingrown Hair and Folliculitis
Ingrown hair and folliculitis occur when we adopt improper shaving techniques. In both conditions, tiny bumps are formed that appear like pimples. Ingrown hairs are usually painful and may be due to your hair curving back into the skin.
On the other hand, folliculitis occurs in case of bacterial contamination. It irritates your follicles leading to the formation of pimples around them.
Skin Sensitivity or Allergic Reactions
Another possible reason for the formation of pimples or worsening of your acne is your sensitive skin. There are various products in shaving creams like preservatives or plant extracts, that can affect your skin and cause allergic reactions.
Part 2: How to Prevent Pimples After Shaving
Going through the right sequence while shaving the face can aid in decreasing the risk of unwanted pimples. Let’s learn the sequence.
Proper Skin Preparation Before Shaving
Our skin is continuously exposed to pollutants from the external environment. This debris piles up on our faces making shaving a difficult process. There is also an accumulation of dead cells making your skin’s surface rough and dull. So, to make sure your shave goes smooth, start from:
- Cleansing and Exfoliation: Using a gentle cleanser on your face can help get rid of the debris while exfoliation can unclog your clogged pores. This makes your skin surface smooth enough to let the razor move effortlessly
- Softening of Hair: Then soften your hair so that it can be removed easily. You can either do it with warm water or use a pre-shave oil. To use pre-shave oil, you need to massage it on your face for half a minute and then apply shaving cream
Choose the Right Shaving Product
The most important products you need for shaving are a sharp razor and the right shaving cream. If you are using your previous razor then clean it before using it so that it can work to maximum capacity.
While choosing shaving cream or gel, choose the one that fits your skin type. For beginners, shaving gel works best as they do not lather giving you a clear area to see the hair you are shaving. Also, confirm that there are no preservatives present if your skin is sensitive.
Learn Proper Shaving Techniques
The next step is to shave but only if you know the right way. If you do not, then these tips can help you:
- While shaving your facial area, move the razor in the same direction as your hair grows. This minimizes chances of ingrown hair, razor bumps, and skin irritation
- Be gentle and avoid applying excessive pressure while moving the razor against your skin as it can cause nicks, bumps, and cuts
- Repetitive strokes can abrade your skin so do not go over the same area repeatedly
- Remove the shaving cream from your face in small strokes and wash your blade after every second stroke. This prevents your blade from getting dull for future use
Do not Forget Post-shaving Care
One more step and you will be done with giving your skin the best shaving experience possible. It is to take proper care of your skin after shaving. Let’s see how:
- Rinse your face with cold water to calm down your skin. It also constricts your pores so that the impurities cannot enter them
- Instead of aggressively rubbing your face with a towel, pat it on your skin to reduce skin irritation
- Use a gentle, non-comedogenic moisturizer to hydrate your face. Shaving makes your skin dry and affects the protective barrier. So, this step is necessary to moisturize the skin and strengthen the barrier
- Heavy makeup immediately after shaving can clog pores and cause pimples. So, refrain from putting on heavy makeup for at least 2 days after shaving
Part 3: Additional Tips for Preventing Pimples After Shaving
Ensure Cleanliness and Maintenance of Razor Blades
Sharp razor blades are the most necessary tool for shaving your face without irritating the skin. However, they get dull over time if you do not clean them properly or store them in the right way. Keep cleaning the razor blades in between your strokes.
Then, at the end, you can put it in warm water for some time and shake it to remove all the clogged cream and removed hair. If you notice your blades getting blunt, replace them immediately. Otherwise, blunt blades can increase friction and abrade the skin surface.
Avoid Touching or Picking at the Skin After Shaving
The constant rubbing of blades against your skin weakens the skin barrier. This means your skin becomes more at risk of bacterial contamination. When we constantly touch our skin with our hands, it causes the bacteria on our hands to invade this barrier and lead to the formation of pimples.
Additionally, picking on these pimples will only push the pus into deeper layers. This aggravates skin swelling and redness.
Consider Alternative Hair Removal Method
If your pimples do not go away even after following every step correctly, you can go for a better hair removal method. How about trying a hair removal method that targets your hair in the deeper layers instead of just cutting it from the skin’s surface?
IPL hair removal technology reduces hair growth for a long time by damaging your hair follicles. How can it be convenient and economical? Use Ulike IPL hair removal device. It has a gentle mode for areas like the face. Noticeable hair reduction starts within 3 to 4 weeks for most people. Since there is no involvement of razors or blades, there are no chances of pimples as well.
Seek Professional Advice if the Issue Persists
Most of the issues are resolved once you start following the accurate shaving technique and complete all the steps. There are some cases in which the issue persists and even worsens over time.
Instead of trying home remedies and damaging your skin further, it is better to consult a professional. They can analyze your skin, find out the exact cause, and give you a better treatment plan for speedy recovery.
Pimples are a common occurrence after shaving your skin because of several issues including inappropriate shaving technique, dull razor, unsatisfactory pre and post-shaving care, and more.
However, do not let it stop you from getting smooth skin with a razor.
Simply, try to pay attention to cleaning the razor well every time you shave the skin and use a new sharp razor, if possible. Also, cleanse and exfoliate your skin before shaving and moisturize it afterward. Do not forget to cleanse your hands meanwhile and do not touch your face too many times either.
Lastly, we advise you to try all methods of preventing pimples after shaving to find the one that works well for you. If you cannot treat this condition by yourself, professional consultation can be helpful.