Many women are nowadays struggling with excessive and unwanted body hair growth. Out of many reasons for this excessive hair growth hormonal imbalance and thyroid disorder stand at the top. Hence, women opt for many hair removal methods like waxing, threading, laser hair removal, etc. to prevent this hair growth from embarrassing them.
Are you suffering from facial hair thyroid disorders? Are you confused about which hair removal method to opt? We are here to solve your dilemma. Read further to know about the connection between thyroid problems and excessive unwanted body hair growth in detail.
What is Thyroid Disorder?
Many people often ask - can thyroid problems cause unwanted hair growth? Yes, as the thyroid is one of the major hormone glands present in your body. It releases an adequate quantity of hormones to maintain the proper functioning and metabolism of the body. However, when these hormones are released in excess or insufficient quantity, they cause several health problems and disorders including excessive hair growth as the thyroid gland controls hair follicles. Thyroid problems are treated easily if the causes are diagnosed properly.
A malfunction in the thyroid gland is either caused when it starts overproducing or underproducing the essential hormones. The overproducing of hormones causes hyperthyroidism, while underproducing of hormones causes hypothyroidism. The symptoms of thyroid disorder include fatigue, swelling, irregular sweating, weight loss, weight gain, hair loss, excessive unwanted hair growth, etc.
The thyroid can be seen in anyone, irrespective of gender and age. However, it is more likely to happen in women due to the intake of several medications before and after childbirth. The thyroid is also common among people having a genetic history of thyroid problems. Below we have mentioned some of the common thyroid problems and their causes:
Hyperthyroidism is a situation in which the thyroid gland becomes overactive and starts producing an excessive quantity of thyroid hormone. It is more common in women and can cause weight loss, metabolic irregularity, anxiety, sleepless nights, increased heart rate, etc.
The major causes of hyperthyroidism include:
- Graves’ Disease: In this condition, the thyroid gland starts producing too much hormone. It results in the enlargement of the thyroid gland and the formation of goiter in the neck.
- Nodules: Sometimes, the formation of nodules in the thyroid gland also causes hyperthyroidism. These nodules start the secretion of thyroid hormone at a faster rate. There can be either a single nodule or multiple nodules present in the thyroid gland.
- Thyroiditis: The condition of thyroid gland inflammation is known as thyroiditis. In this condition, the thyroid gland doesn’t overproduce rather it releases the hormones already stored in the gland. This secretion can last from a few weeks to a few months. Its effects vary from person to person; some can find it painful, while others don’t notice any changes.
- Excessive Iodine Intake: Iodine is one of the major elements involved in the production of thyroid hormone. Hence, the excessive intake of iodine or thyroid medicines can also cause the thyroid gland to overproduce the thyroid hormone.
- Pituitary Gland Malfunction: Pituitary gland malfunction causes the growth of a non-cancerous tumor and results in hyperthyroidism.
Hypothyroidism is a condition where the thyroid gland becomes underactive and hence reduces the production of thyroid hormones. When the body doesn’t get a sufficient amount of these hormones, the energy level decreases. The low level of thyroid hormones results in damaged hair, dry skin, weight gain, weakness, dizziness, irregular periods, etc.
The major causes of hypothyroidism include:
- Swelling in Thyroid Gland: Swelling in the thyroid gland results in its malfunction. It reduces the amount of hormone production and hence, results in hypothyroidism.
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is a condition in which the body cells tend to attack and damage the immunity of the thyroid gland. It causes the thyroid gland to malfunction. It is a painless and genetic disease.
- Postpartum Thyroiditis: As the name suggests, postpartum thyroiditis is a condition in women that is caused after childbirth. In most cases, it is temporary and can be controlled by medication. Due to this condition, many women put on a lot of weight after childbirth.
- Congenital Hypothyroidism: Congenital hypothyroidism is a condition inherited from your parents and ancestors. It is common to be born with your parents’ disease. That’s why newborn babies undergo blood tests to determine the proper functioning of their thyroid gland.
- Iodine Deficiency: As we all know, iodine is one of the major elements required for the formation of thyroid hormones. Its deficiency can cause the thyroid gland to malfunction. Your body requires an adequate amount of iodine to produce thyroid hormones. A decrease in the intake of iodine can cause a drop in the production of thyroid hormones.
- Regular Medication: The intake of regular medication and drugs like lithium can also affect the functioning of your thyroid gland and can cause hypothyroidism.
Thyroid disorder is a kind of hormonal imbalance and can also result in the diseases like diabetes and arthritis, lupus, etc. It can also cause the growth of thick and black hair on different body parts. The unwanted hair growth caused by thyroid gland malfunction is known as hypertrichosis. This hair growth appears in the male pattern. For instance, you will notice the growth of thick hair on your chin, upper lips, chest, lower abdomen, etc. This hair growth is permanent, and no treatment can guarantee permanent hair removal.
Women opt for various hair removal methods like waxing, shaving, hair removal creams, laser treatments, etc. according to their convenience. All these methods are associated with several advantages and disadvantages depending on their application. However, hair removal with Ulike IPL hair removal device is one of the most convenient and inexpensive methods available in the market. It is a one-time investment and provides value for money. Unlike waxing and laser hair removal, it doesn’t require regular appointments. It also results in decreased hair growth over a long period. It prevents the formation of in-grown body hairs. Moreover, you can use it yourself at home. It is a fuss-free solution to unwanted body hair removal and maintains your privacy with less time consumption. To top it all, Ulike IPL hair removal device comes with various attachments specially designed for curvy body parts.
With so many advantages associated with IPL hair removal devices, how can anyone say no to them? However, it should be noted that it only reduces hair growth rather than permanent hair removal.
We have discussed the different types of thyroid disorders and their causes. As discussed above, the thyroid gland regulates many body functions including the growth of body hair. Any irregularity in the thyroid gland can lead to unpleasant and uncomfortable situations. However, it can easily be treated through proper diagnosis and the right treatment.
Although, women worrying about their unwanted body hairs can undergo any of the various methods of hair removal. IPL laser hair removal is one of the most affordable and convenient methods of unwanted body hair removal. Moreover, it is also helpful in maintaining your privacy as it is so handy that you can use it yourself at home. With so many benefits associated with Ulike IPL hair removal device, isn’t it worth giving a try?